Your Grammys’ Church

by Dr. Peter Jones on January 28, 2014

GrammyChurch2

In 1971, Don McLean sang “Bye bye, Miss American Pie,” and asked: “…do you have faith in God above, if the Bible tells you so, [or] do you believe in rock and roll, can music save your mortal soul?” Back then there were still options. Asking these two questions in a pop song made sense. No longer. We’ve come a long way, baby. The latest Grammy Awards (January 26, 2014) celebrating the liberating power of music, launched in prime time, with all the stunning technological Hollywood bells and whistles, THE NEW AMERICAN RELIGION.

Way back in 1988, at the height of his career as a recognized journalist (having made big money ghost-writing Donald Trump’s biography, Art of the Deal), Tony Schwartz went on a journey to understand what was happening to the soul of America. In 1995 he published What Really Matters, an examination of the thought and practice of the leaders of the New Age Movement. He discovered a unique, made-in-America spirituality that joined Eastern and Western practice into “a new American wisdom tradition” that would save the world. On January 26, 2014, that spiritual tradition came out on network television in a resounding worship celebration of a new American religion.

Driven by the “faith” of the leading contemporary purveyors of hip-hop and rap, the moment was enthusiastically sanctioned by the prominently featured elder wise ones—in particular Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono.

The religious service began with serious “worship,” led by Beyoncé—at 7pm Central and 8pmEastern, while children were still watching, which is fine, since President Obama praised Beyoncé as an important role model for children, including his own. Her outlandishly  sexualized dance routine, in a revealing black thong bodysuit over fishnet tights, simulating all the moves belonging solely to the privacy of the marital bedroom, was an act of heterosexual public debauchery.  Her hit song, “Drunk in Love” served as an introductory hymn that set the worship tone for the evening. “I’ve been drinking…I get filthy when that liquor gets into me…[I can’t bring myself to type all the words she sang]…Drunk in love.” Beyoncé proudly embraces her sexuality, draping herself in pseudo-ethical notions like “pride” and “self-affirmation,” giving the appearance of moral high-ground while groveling in the gutter.

The order of service continued with testimonies of deliverance. Ex-evangelical Katy Perry (famous for her song, “I Kissed a Girl and Liked It”) celebrated her apostasy, dressed up as a witch with a large red cross on her chest, and was symbolically “burned at the stake.” A sister in rebellion, Kacey Musgraves (who sang in church as a child) won the Country award with her ballad, “Follow Your Arrow.” The arrows were anti-Christian barbs at church-going and traditional ethics. Her song culminated in the exhortation to escape those old-time religion chains:

So make lots of noise, Kiss lots of boys,

Or kiss lots of girls, if that’s something you’re into,

When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight.

The three hour service ended on an ecstatic, unholy high note. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (Grammy for Best New Artist), began the finale with their hit song “Same Love,” which has become an anthem in the gay community. Its religious overtones are easy to see:

America the brave still fears what we don’t know

And “God loves all his children” is somehow forgotten.

Whatever god you believe in, we come from the same one;

Strip away the fear, underneath, it’s all the same love…

About time that we raised up!

As if by magic, the stage morphed into a massive cathedral with imposing stained-glass windows and a marriage archway. High Priestesses “Material Girl” Madonna and pure “royalty,” Queen Latifah, then appeared on stage to join in marriage 33 couples of numerous sexual permutations, thereby sealing the new religion’s Oneist creed: all religions and all sexualities are One—to the thunderous applause of the thousands present, and to the approbation of millions of television viewers.

The vacuous marriage sacrament of the “Grammys religion” and its further trivialization as an entertainment stunt, only underlines the spiritually empty gospel that Tinsel Town and its beautiful people were pushing, unopposed, into the homes of people who pay these artists their inflated salaries. There is no competing message, no other opinion allowed from other artists, no apparent way for so many to hear the truth. This is a formula for cultural collapse.

But there is hope. Those watching or attending the church of the Grammys are made in God’s image and will one day be disillusioned with the lie. Christians “shine as lights” by “telling the truth” in a dark world. This is our Think Tank theme next week. If you want to learn to shine, buy a plane ticket to Escondido, and come hear some true, good news!

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Heather Robinson January 28, 2014 at 11:13 am

Dear Dr. Peter,
Did you happen to watch the documentary on J.D. Salinger last week? The producer spent 10 years making it and investing personal finance of 2 million dollars. This isn’t the issue of why I ask you to watch it. I just felt tones of the occult. I found it fastening that J.D. belonged to the Veda something religion and this was the same religion of John Lennon. Then, to think his killer was obsessed with CATCHER IN THE RYE and held that world view. I just found this perplexing to think the god Ved something didn’t prevent his follower from killing a fellow follower.
It just dawned on me that it shouldn’t be so surprising considering Yitzac Rabin was killed by zealot Israeli.
Thanks for reading, Heather Robinson

Aaron Lindsey January 30, 2014 at 5:43 am

I saw that special on Salinger and felt a bit weirded out, myself. Your observations make a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

Judy Williams January 28, 2014 at 11:16 am

What an excellent piece, Dr. Jones! Posting it to my facebook site!

Jon Marq January 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

Yes! I appreciate your gospel-shaped social commentary very much and shared it with my church via facebook. (I wrote a much shorter piece for my church yesterday at http://newhopec.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/paul-on-the-grammys/)

Charis January 29, 2014 at 6:48 am

Great article.

The increasing lewdness aside, one would think that the mainstream press might consider it extremely peculiar that a music industry awards ceremony is transformed into a global platform to deliver a huge (and deliberately antichristian) religious message. Of course it’s been brewing for a long time, but it’s becoming ever more bizarre and explicit.

What a pretty pass we’ve reached, when the leader of the free world holds up a shameless and debauched woman as a role model for the nation’s young girls. …What kind of a father would want his daughter doing that on a stage?

I’m not really up on who’s who in Tinseltown, but wasn’t Katy Perry the one who did a song fantasising (rather explicitly) about having sex with an extraterrestrial? Any sexual permutation, as you say in the article…

It struck me how female-dominated this all is — the opposite of the Judaeo-Christian Father, Son & male-led church (the ‘patriarchy’, as its enemies like to call it).

…And these women all have the same sort of career-path: they sell their venal souls for global fame and fabulous fortune, receiving adoration from millions of devotees across the planet; they “play the whore” (as the KJV puts it) with a variety of (preferably high-profile) men, the tales of their exploits and “kiss and tell” exposés saturating the press; they debauch themselves ever more openly at events like this one; and then, having apparently attained the requisite spiritual state, they develop a tendency to make politico-religious pronouncements promoting antinomianism and attacking Biblical Christianity/morality. They are prostitute-priestesses, playing pied-piper to millions of girls and young women.

It struck me yesterday that our culture is very like that of ancient Greece/Rome (there being nothing new under the sun). I’d seen a headline on the front of the newspaper, showing a Hollywood couple (one of whom I didn’t know, but then I don’t follow these things), and the story was about how the man was reacting to news that his wife (or co-fornicator or whatever) had had sex with another Hollywood celebrity.

The very first thing I thought of was that such stories shaped the Graeco-Roman world and culture — the sex-lives, intrigues, infidelities, jealousies and retributions of their pantheon of gods. And today’s celebrities are adulated as gods: people spend their lives following their careers (particularly those in the music industry), and know about the minutiae of their tawdry lifestyles. But these days it’s no longer Zeus and Hera, or Hermes and Aphrodite, but Brad and Angelina (or whatever their names are).

…they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator…

LGMarshall January 31, 2014 at 3:03 pm

End Times Headline News —’Temple Prostitution Gets Thunderous Approval!’

Mercifully, I didnt see any of the Awards Show. But a friend of mine told me about it. All I could think of was…How did Beyonce’s pimp (JayZ) manage to get home that night without being arrested by the Vice Squad?

Lord have mercy.

Lee Burtman January 29, 2014 at 7:11 am

Thank you for your excellent piece! I especially appreciated your pointing out that today’s so-called entertainment is indeed the new religion. It’s rather ironic that unbelievers mercilessly mock our faith while they create and promote their own perverted version of it, even co-opting our symbols. However, “God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life” Gal. 6:7-8.
Just one correction, Dr. Jones– one need not go all the way to Escondido (although California sounds great as I write from the deep-freezer of Minnesota!)to hear Truth. There are great churches all over this land sharing the hope we have in the Lord Jesus, who gave His life as a ransom for many. May we sow to please the Spirit, by His grace and for His glory.

Annette Johnson January 29, 2014 at 7:18 am

I was disappointed, no gospel part of the Grammies . Gospel Music is such big part of American music. I know they already taken away gospel. I was hoping for the little that I thought that would be showed. That was A MESS!

Aaron Lindsey January 30, 2014 at 5:44 am

Excellent article, Dr. Jones! I didn’t watch the Grammys, but heard a lot about the anti-Christian attitude on Monday. God help us.

Lauren January 30, 2014 at 6:08 am

I am so saddened by this. A deep, deep sadness as I watch our culture crumble away. I will continue to keep my television turned off as I raise my children to love the one true God. Perhaps they will shine as bright lights in their futures. I pray so.

Peter January 30, 2014 at 6:49 am

I’m troubled by this not because I think it outrageous to question the media we consume, but because of how narrowly it conceives religion, and how implicitly it suggests that the “OLD AMERICAN RELIGION” was somehow better than the new one. It implies the conflation of Christianity with American civil religion (a complex phenomenon, to be sure, but one decidedly in opposition to Christ) and then shames religio-social rituals for being just that. Religion is a social construct, and if the construct you find being propagated isn’t in line with your particular responses to revelation, I think that you need to think consider what Christian hegemony has done to our understanding of what Christ followers ought be in relation to existing cultural constructs. I just feel like there’s a more nuanced response than this.

Cris Putnam February 4, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Peter is troubled by “how implicitly it suggests that the “OLD AMERICAN RELIGION” was somehow better than the new one.”

This is a nonstarter Peter. The evidence suggests that the American church even 20-30 years ago WAS better as in more biblical and doctrinally sound. I mean in general we are far worse off today, BY FAR. We had a gay bishop lead the Presidential inauguration in paganized prayer! Today we have major mainline curiosities like the Episcopal, ELCA and PCUSA to not only accept homosexual unions but to endorse homosexual clergy. They are putting leaders in front of their congregations that openly model a lifestyle that the Bible clearly says will lead one to hell (1 Cor 6:9). So YES the old American church was demonstrably better because you never saw nonsense like this back then, sure they weren;t perfect either, but they were LIGHT YEARS away from where we find ourselves today. You should read Dr Jone’s book Spirit Wars.

jimu January 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

Grammy’s Show = 2 Timothy 3:1-5

cdawley January 30, 2014 at 11:41 am

Great article exposing a perverse and wicked generation. Their pleasures are for a season and then they will be required to attend a fearful day of reckoning. A great sadness to see lives squandered. Even sadder the they become pied pipers to many who blindly follow.

ashanae January 30, 2014 at 7:27 pm

This is article is music to my ears! The grammys grieved me terribly. My hope is that NO child was in front of the tv during the broadcast, but in reality I know that many were. How much we as Christian parents are up against to protect and nuture our children in Christ. Thanks to Tim Challies posting this article on his site, I had the privilage of reading it. Thanks, Dr. Jones!

Dawn Wilson January 31, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for writing this, and thanks,Tim Challies, for sharing it.

I linked to this piece on Facebook, saying, “…one thing is for sure, the Grammys’ ‘Religion’ is not one THIS Grammy recognizes or appreciates!” I am so concerned for my granddaughters … the enemy is out to steal this entire generation. “Grammy Dawn” is going to do all she can to share the truth.

Flyaway February 6, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I turned it off and prayed. God will not be mocked!

Geoffrey Dixon February 7, 2014 at 11:56 am

Thank you Dr. Jones for the reminder that despite the moral chaos our world is in the Gospel is in unchanging, and ultimately Biblical truth will triumph. Meanwhile we pray for those who promote lifestyles that that speak of and promote the evil one. May your ministry flourish as you proclaim the incredible Good News of The Lord Jesus Christ.

angela ellis-jones February 8, 2014 at 4:15 am

Every time one hears of something dreadful like this,one thinks that things cannot possibly get worse – but they always do.If anyone needed proof that this is a society in a state of terminal decadence – just as is the country from which I write,Britain – this is it.